News

Suggested Solid Waste Removal Vendors – Tiger Sanitation or Comal Waste

Tiger is one of several waste removal vendors in our area. Lantana Ridge POA is currently in a group contract with Tiger to offer waste and recycle pick-up. This contract is an effort to provide consistent rates for property owners. The contract is not exclusive and does not require residents to use them. The current rate with Tiger is $84.66/quarter and $91.64 after taxes.

Goals when using a preferred vendor include:

Better/lower rates with a larger group;

Lower the amount of large trucks into the neighborhood, preventing wear and tear on the streets we pay to maintain and;

Prevent trash bins on the streets multiple times per week.

The neighborhood appears less cluttered to prospective buyers when trash bins are out only one day a week. Tiger picks up on Wednesday and so does Comal County (if you use that option). That way all trash pick-up is completed in one day, which is ideal for everyone. Please consider using Tiger or Comal County pick-up. Tiger Sanitation can be reached at 210-333-4387 or www.tigersanitation.com. Comal Waste can be reached at 830-899-2452.


Welcome Committee – Volunteers Needed

With all the new construction and resale of properties, it would be great to have a small team to welcome new property owners. We need at least one Lead person to help push consistent measures. There are several pieces of material already available, we just need a team to consistently share the information. Reach out directly to Shelly Wahl at [email protected] if you are interested in serving on this committee.


Waterfall Update, June 15, 2019 by Bill Sotos

As some of you know, the park waterfall has not been operating since late last year when the large pump that circulates the water over the falls failed (seized). Initially, this was a challenge for us to troubleshoot because the very large (7-1/2 hp) and heavy (~350 lb) pump is in a difficult location (submerged in a concrete pit in the lower lagoon) with no usable access for vehicles or equipment.

Removal requires lifting the normally submerged pump out of the pit, moving it over about 30 feet of rocks and then lifting it another 30 feet so that it can be loaded into a vehicle for transport. Compounding the challenge for us was a lack of documentation on the pump itself creating a lot of technical unknowns. Because of these challenges, pump removal and replacement/repair was not initially deemed to be feasible as a DIY project thus we were estimating that any repair or replacement would need to be done by a contractor that has experience and equipment suitable for the job. This of course would end up being very costly.

Well……thanks to some significant help from neighbors Chad Earwood and Jack DeVerter, we came up with a plan to extract the pump from its installed location and transport it to a location (my garage) where it could be fully evaluated and repaired if possible. That extraction was successfully done on May 2nd.

This is what the pump location looks like with Chad and his helper Bo (Chad is the one without a hat) getting the pump rigged for extraction:

http://www.lantanaridgepoa.com/lantanaridge/picture/Waterfallpic1.jpg

As you can see, this ain’t easy.  Here is a photo of what the pump looked like after we removed it and transported it to my garage:

http://www.lantanaridgepoa.com/lantanaridge/picture/waterfallpic2.jpg

After cleaning off much of the pond gunk and mineral deposits, we were able to obtain all of the nameplate data which then allowed us to obtain all of the necessary documentation for the pump. We then did a partial disassembly and found that the pump seizure was caused by extreme mineral buildup around the pump impeller. Cleaning off the deposits allowed the impeller to rotate freely. Further evaluation showed that the pump, despite its age (17 years) and run-time hours (~75,000), was still in good health. All critical electrical attributes are satisfactory, bearings are still good as are the seals. We are replacing critical o-rings, motor cooling oil, pipe gaskets, and most of the fasteners that hold the pump together as well as the connecting piping. The plan is to get the pump in good shape so that it can operate reliably for another five (5) years at which time we plan to perform some regular preventive maintenance tasks.

It should be noted that we were delayed a few weeks in the month of May because shortly after the pump was removed, we got a lot of rain that made access to the pump location impossible. Some needed site work had to wait as a result. That was finally accomplished on June 11th.

As of this writing, the pump has been disassembled, cleaned and checked, replacement parts purchased and is now ready for reassembly. Once the pump is reassembled, it will be tested dry (short run) for satisfactory operation and to also perform a motor flush (the motor is oil filled) to remove any remaining contaminants. Upon satisfactory completion of the dry testing and oil flushing, the pump will be ready to be re-installed. We expect to do the reassembly and dry testing in the next week or so. A final installation and return to service date has not yet been set but the work will be done as soon as the weather cooperates and our volunteers and equipment are available.